Upon Getting Engaged
- Announce your engagement!
- Plan a get together for families to meet, celebrate, and discuss wedding plans (if possible).
- Finalize the wedding date or specific wedding month if unknown.
- Work out budget. Decide who will pay for what.
- Determine the size of guest list, and start compiling it.
Sixteen to Nine Months Before
- Register for gifts and attend engagement party.
- Book your officiant.
- Choose and reserve your ceremony and reception sites.
- Select your wedding party.
- Begin shopping for your wedding gown and bridesmaids’ dresses.
- Choose and order your save-the-date cards.
Eight to Seven Months Before
- Book your caterer.
- Finalize your guest list.
- Order invitations and wedding stationery.
- Send save-the-date cards to out-of-town guests.
- Order your wedding gown, veil or headpiece, and bridesmaids’ dresses.
- Select and buy bridal shoes, lingerie, handbag, hosiery and accessories- and bring to fittings.
- Consider purchasing wedding insurance.
- Start planning your honeymoon. Obtain visa/passports for foreign travel.
- Attend premarital counseling, if applicable.
- Schedule fittings for gown and bridesmaids' dresses.
Six to Four Months Before
- Select songs for major highlights of reception (first dance, cake-cutting, bouquet toss, etc.)
- Meet with officiant to discuss service.
- Book the rehearsal and rehearsal-dinner venues.
- Select and order groomsmen attire, and schedule fittings. For a Jewish wedding, order yarmulkes.
- Order wedding rings; have them sized and engraved.
- Purchase gifts for bridal party.
- Finish planning honeymoon.
- Reserve a romantic room for your wedding night.
- Arrange an appointment to get a marriage license.
- Order your wedding cake.
- Order alcohol and beverage items.
- Schedule hair and make-up trials.
Three to Two Months Before
- Assemble, address and stamp invitations.
- Select readings/songs for ceremony; ask those you want to read/perform if they will do the honor.
- Write or decide on your vows.
- Mail invitations (six to eight weeks before wedding).
Four to Six Weeks Before
- Make final payments to vendors.
- Pick up ordered tuxedo/suit, if purchasing.
- Have final dress fitting.
- Schedule wedding day beauty appointments.
- Give list of songs you want and don't want to band/dj.
- Enter RSVPs into your guest-list database, and phone people who have not yet responded.
- Start arranging seating plan.
- Mail rehearsal-dinner invitations.
- Put together welcome baskets for out-of-town guests.
- Plan bridesmaid luncheon.
- Get name change forms for SS, DL, bank and so on.
- Pick up wedding rings, check sizes, have rings insured.
- Track gifts and send thank you notes for gifts already received.
- Send change of address form to post office, if applicable.
Two Weeks Before
- Give shot list to photographer and videographer.
- Review music with band/dj.
- Update seating plan; write place cards, or give calligrapher information to do so.
- Compose toasts for rehearsal dinner and wedding reception.
- Have groom schedule haircut.
- Pick up tickets and traveler's checks for honeymoon.
One Week Before
- Host bridesmaids' luncheon.
- Pick up dress, if not being delivered.
- Confirm bridesmaids have dresses and accessories.
- Confirm that groomsmen pick up their formal wear.
- Assign someone to return formal wear and rental items.
- Break in shoes.
- Remind the wedding party about rehearsal and rehearsal dinner.
- Finalize seating plan.
- Get bills from bank for gratuities; put tips in labeled envelopes and seal.
- Wrap bridesmaids' gifts.
- Have mail held for honeymoon.
48 -24 Hours Before
- Drop off welcome baskets for out-of-town guests.
- Give attendants anything they need to execute duties.
- Hand out gifts to wedding party.
- Get manicure and pedicure.
- Pack your wedding night and honeymoon suitcases!